Board directors needed, vol., Green Teams of Canada, Metro Vancouver or anywhere/virtual BC
Date posted to RCEN & PlanetVolunteer:
Mar 24 2017
Position: Board Director
Type: board of directors position / unpaid
Organization: Green Teams of Canada
Location: anywhere (can participate virtually) or in person, Metro Vancouver, BC
Our mission is to inspire stewardship of nature by connecting diverse individuals through hands-on educational environmental activities. We believe that Canadians are unlikely to take action like saving energy, conserving water, using alternate transportation, recycling and increasing biodiversity in parks if they don’t spend time in nature and connect with it. This is especially important right now because Canadians, especially our youth are spending an increasingly longer time in front of electronic screens indoors than outside in nature.
We engage volunteers in activities like invasive plant removals, planting of native species, shoreline clean-ups at parks. Our objectives are:
- Educate and raise awareness about biodiversity, community conservation, sustainability and environmental stewardship
- Conserve ecosystems through saving, supporting, protecting or assisting stressed or endangered forms of plant life
- Restore habitat, ecosystems and increase biodiversity for the long-term benefit of the public
- Connect people to nature
- Develop leadership, teamwork and stewardship skills
- Build and empower communities
- Work with governments, NGOs and schools to infuse young Canadians into existing stewardship programs
- Increase community engagement in park care
We are looking for board members who can bring the following expertise to our organization:
- Board Chair: Previous experience on a non-profit/charity BOD required in order to provide structure and guidance on chairing meetings, board governance, programming, fundraising, providing oversight of the Executive Director, succession planning, etc.
- Fundraising: Provide guidance in a fundraising plan, be an ambassador by helping us connect to funders and support staff in implementing the fundraising plan
- Marketing Communications/Public Relations: Provide advice, build tools and participate in activities relating to marketing, communications, or public relations, such as the development of marketing materials, graphic software, website administration, implementation of social media/communications strategies, etc.
- Financial: experience in accounting and finance. Can analyze statements, assess financial viability, oversee budgets, contribute to financial planning
- HR: Provide guidance, build tools and participate in tasks related to Employment Standards and HR best practices.
- IT: Assist in using technology to becoming a more effective, efficient and well-run organization.
Meetings and Time Commitment: The Board of Directors meets, on average, every other month, or 6-8 times per year. Directors are asked to devote an average of 5-10 hours per month to GTC needs plus board meetings.
How to Apply: Together with your resume, please forward a letter of interest which includes your responses to the following questions:
- What interests you most about being on the Green Teams of Canada board?
- Which of the expertise areas listed above can you bring to our organization? Please briefly describe how you will use that expertise to help us grow and meet our objectives.
- If you have prior non-profit, charitable or governance experience, please briefly tell us more about it.
- Please briefly tell us why you are attracted to the vision and mission of Green Teams of Canada.
Please submit your application to:
by April 21, 2017. Thank you!
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at RCEN.ca.
*Note: e-mail addresses above (if any) have been masked to reduce spam.
To form the correct address, rejoin the two portions, separated with @.
Volunteer Opportunities  |  Add an Opportunity  |  About / Help