Kitchen Learning Residency, accom., Yasodhara Ashram, near Nelson BC
Date posted to RCEN & PlanetVolunteer:
Feb 16 2017
Position: Kitchen Learning Residency
Type: 5-8 months, volunteer position, accommodations & food provided, stipend available
Organization: Yasodhara Ashram
Location: Kootenay Bay (near Nelson BC)
Yasodhara Ashram Kitchen Learning Residency is intended for individuals who want to broaden and deepen their understanding of food preparation and the practice of Karma Yoga. Karma Yoga is the practice of selfless service, and is an essential part of life at Yasodhara Ashram.
In the summer, many of our vegetables, fruits and berries come directly from our garden and orchards.
Each day the kitchen team is responsible for feeding 50-100 people two nutritious, organic, mostly vegetarian, buffet-style meals. (Breakfasts are prepared by karma yogis and residents.)
Working alongside our red seal trained chef, your role will be to help create beautiful, nutritious meals made from fresh, organic food. We serve a whole foods diet, including grains, vegetables and fruit with occasional use of dairy, eggs, fish and chicken. The three-fold goal is to create meals that are:
- healthy and nutritionally balanced
- simple and well-presented, honouring the nature and flavour of the foods
This is a 5-8 month full time position. The intake dates for this position are ongoing throughout the year.
Upcoming dates: April 4, May 2, May 30. Please see OM program intake dates for all intakes for 2017.
Applications for the summer season (April 4, May 2, May 30 intake dates) are due on February 28, 2017.
HELPFUL SKILLS & ABILITIES FOR WORKING AT THE ASHRAM
- A curiosity and openness to explore living in a spiritual community
- Willingness to learn
- Interest and knowledge about food and sustainability
- Ability to oversee both big picture and day to day tasks
- Communication skills for reporting, cooperation and instruction
- Ability to prioritize and adjust plans easily
- Organizational skills (records, tools, people, plants)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Keen observation
- A desire to bring care into all actions
KITCHEN SPECIFIC SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Some experience or knowledge of quality food preparation and nutrition
- Experience in a commercial kitchen
- Understanding of vegetarian and vegan principles
- Baking experience
- Ability to prepare foods according to prescribed recipes or to follow lead cooks’ instructions
- Knowledge of methods, materials and practices of volume food preparation (helpful but not essential; you will learn this!)
- Knowledge in the use of standard food preparation equipment and utensils
- Ability and desire to learn through hands-on experience, oral instruction and observation, as well as through written materials
- Desire to work in and help maintain a harmonious work environment
- An attitude of service, a positive disposition and an interest in living and learning within a spiritual community.
To apply, please fill out and submit the application form:
Download Learning Residency Application
Application deadline: Applications for summer season positions (April 4, May 2, May 30 intake dates) are due on February 28, 2017.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at RCEN.ca.
*Note: e-mail addresses above (if any) have been masked to reduce spam.
To form the correct address, rejoin the two portions, separated with @.
Volunteer Opportunities  |  Add an Opportunity  |  About / Help