Ecological Farming Internships, accom., Whole Circle Farm, GTA, Ontario
Date posted to RCEN & PlanetVolunteer:
Feb 9 2017
Position: Ecological Farming Internship (March - Nov 2017, 6 positions)
Type: full-time internship with room, board, stipend, more (see below)
Organization: Whole Circle Farm
Location: Acton, GTA / Halton Region, Ontario
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES AT WHOLE CIRCLE FARM
If you're ready for a full, hands-on experience that will immerse you in ecological farming then you've come to the right place. A farming internship experience can change your life! Whether your dream is to have your own organic farm one day or you just want to learn some food-growing and hands-on skills that can be applied in other parts of your life, a farming internship is a powerful experience that will help you grow as a person and equip you with the tools and insights to make a real difference in the world. Ecological farming internships are very demanding, highly rewarding opportunities!
About Whole Circle Farm
Whole Circle Farm is a wholly diversified family-style organic and biodynamic farm run by Maggie and Johann Kleinsasser. We are located between Georgetown and Guelph (20 minute drive from both) in Acton. Our business operations include about forty head of pastured 100% grass-fed cattle, pastured heritage pigs, pastured laying hens and broiler chickens, a 10 acre vegetable garden, regionally adapted vegetable seed production, a young mixed orchard, small perennial herb garden, maple bush, and a variety of field crops. The garden grows over 60 types of vegetables and supports a 150-member CSA and two markets (Downtown Georgetown, and Wychwood Barns, Toronto) in the summer, and a 100-member CSA and one market (Wychwood Barns) through the winter and spring.
Whole Circle Farm is seeking five interns to work in our ~10 acre vegetable garden for the 2017 season. Interns will participate in general fieldwork pertaining to all aspects of growing organic vegetables from seeding in the greenhouse, transplanting seedlings, weeding, harvesting, post-harvest handling, selling at farmers’ markets, hosting CSA pick-ups, processing food for the winter, working with various farm machinery, and more. This internship experience focuses on vegetable production, however opportunities to work with our vegetable seed production projects and pastured livestock can be made available for those who are interested.
Whole Circle Farm is seeking one intern to work primarily with our mixed pastured livestock. This intern will provide care for the livestock under the guidance of the farm managers (which includes, but is not limited to, daily chores, putting up and taking down fencing, moving animals to/from daily pasture, working on various infrastructure projects, and more). This internship experience focuses on livestock care and requires comfort with independent task assignments, and also includes opportunities to work in a team in the vegetable garden, especially during high workload times (such as harvest days). Opportunities to work with our seed production projects can be made available for those who are interested.
# of positions: Six
Type: Full-time position, room and board, stipend (details below)
Duration: beginning March 2017 to end of November 2017
Location: Acton, ON
Reports to: Garden Managers/Farm Manager
Work Schedule and Compensation
While the hours will vary through the season, one can expect to work approximately 55-60 hours / week.
• Stipend of $200 / month
• Room (includes private room in shared house or private trailer, utilities, phone, internet, laundry)
• Board (organic food sourced as locally as possible)
• Shared access to the farm vehicles
• Seven paid vacation days
• Two paid personal days (for attending appointments, etc.)
• Two paid professional development days (for attending workshops, courses, etc.)
• Educational opportunities throughout the season including field trips, CRAFT days (http://www.craftsouthwestontario.ca), in-field experiential education and seminar-style sessions on particular topics (including selling at farmers markets, seed saving & production, pasturing livestock, farm machinery, biodynamics, preserving, and more!)
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Collaborative and reliable team player with other interns, farm volunteers, garden staff, garden managers and farm managers
- Openness and commitment to learning about ecological farming
- Ability to take and follow direction from supervisors
- Ability to practice good time management
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently
- Most work tasks are performed outdoors - must be able to work outside in a variety of weather conditions for long hours performing various tasks
- Ability to lift 50lbs for short periods of time
- Experience on a comparable market garden farm, growing for CSA and markets
- Experience working with pastured livestock
- Experience with Non-Violent Communication
- Experience with tractors and implements associated with vegetable production
Please send a resume, cover letter, and two workplace references to the Market Garden Managers (contact information below). The addition of two communal living references is welcome but not required.
Contact: Nicola and Rebecca, Market Garden Co-Managers
Email: wholecirclefarmcsa gmail.com*
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at RCEN.ca.
*Note: e-mail addresses above (if any) have been masked to reduce spam.
To form the correct address, rejoin the two portions, separated with @.
Volunteer Opportunities  |  Add an Opportunity  |  About / Help